Vision, Mission, and Values
Our vision captures the change we wish to see in the world: equitable and resilient health systems that respond to people’s needs and emerging threats. Our mission is to help countries build and sustain resilient health systems by supporting local partners in implementing science-driven, scalable solutions. In our interactions with each other and with our clients, URC staff will stay true to our values to ensure transformative change through our project implementation by focusing on:
- Creativity: By unleashing our creativity, URC staff will enhance workplace engagement and interaction to improve problem-solving and increase staff morale.
- Collaboration: Not only does working towards the same vision and mission instill staff with a strong sense of purpose, but collaboration enables us to complement each other’s skills and allocate work to maximize everyone’s strengths.
- Accountability: Simply put, accountability in the workplace means that we hold ourselves responsible for accomplishing goals, completing assignments, and making decisions.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion: URC embraces the importance of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, where URC’s leadership and staff model behavior that enriches our organization, demonstrates respect for all people, and supports opportunities for all staff, particularly those who are under-represented in positions of authority and responsibility, to further develop capacity, take on new responsibilities, and grow professionally.
- Transparency: URC understands that when employees deeply trust one another and their leaders, they will be more engaged in their roles because they will not be worried about unfair treatment. A transparent organization facilitates teamwork and common purpose through open and honest sharing of information and ideas.
- We are mission-driven and results-focused. URC strives to create a forward-looking culture in which headquarters and field staff share the responsibility for achieving measurable results.
- We work to improve the health outcomes of people worldwide. URC supports engaged, committed, and empowered staff to use their knowledge, skills, and creativity to help countries achieve improvements in health outcomes.
- We seek to have impact at scale. Impact at scale depends on the responsiveness and reach of interventions/solutions in addressing people’s needs in timely, accessible, and affordable ways. A country’s journey to impact at scale is not anchored in a “one-size-fits-all” approach because the route is often uncharted. URC helps countries anticipate the need for correction and adaptation through continuous, robust monitoring and learning.
- We focus on creating sustainable, systems-level change. Systems-level change is an intentional process designed to fundamentally alter the components and structures that cause the health system to behave in a certain way. To mitigate the consequences of malfunctioning systems and avoid providing inadvertent cover for their failure, URC strives to help countries identify root causes of problems and create integrated, cost-effective, and sustainable solutions to address them.
- We implement science-based solutions. URC promotes decision-making that is informed by the best available evidence. We focus on helping countries strengthen the continuum of integrated policies, strategies, activities, and services whose effectiveness has been proven or informed by research and evaluation.
- We work through and with local partners. By supporting local partners to navigate the dynamic public health landscape in their countries with proven tools and approaches, URC helps to extend the reach of high-impact interventions while increasing local ownership, accountability, and transparency.
- We believe solutions are more sustainable when governments, NGOs, civil society, and private sector entities are engaged. URC recognizes the need to mobilize a broad array of public, non-profit, and private sector partners and resources, elevate local leadership, and stimulate joint problem-solving to help countries advance on their journey to self-reliance.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The URC Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee (DEIC) is a cross-functional company-wide working group of self-identified staff who volunteered to be a part of the committee. The mission of the DEIC is to encourage and take concrete actions to continue facilitating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment at URC, where the leadership and employees model behavior that enriches our organization, demonstrates respect for all persons, and supports opportunities for all staff, particularly those who are under-represented in positions of authority and responsibility, to further develop capacity, take on new responsibilities, and grow professionally. The DEIC will identify DEI issues at URC; propose, guide, and monitor the implementation of actions to promote DEI at URC; and work closely with the organization’s leadership to integrate DEI into all aspects of the organization’s work. Members of the DEIC will serve as ambassadors of DEI in their respective organizational units within URC and support the mission of the DEIC as appropriate in their respective positions.